We hear about another defying-the-odds, leap-of-faith subscription box founder on this episode of The Hungry Founder Podcast. Our host Steve Krakower invites Olivia Canlas, CEO and cofounder of Meowbox, to share her story, particularly how she keeps her life genuine and mindful both through what she does for herself and through the choices she makes at work. Tune in and get inspired to help others or help yourself take that first, scary leap into a subscription box idea and learn advice Olivia wants you to have along the way, such as why you need to reassess success and not be afraid to let others help you flourish!
3 Key Takeaways
- Why you may need to reassess what it means to be a truly successful entrepreneur
- The differentiating factor between successful and unsuccessful entrepreneurs that most don’t think about
- Why email marketing has been the #1 marketing method for Meowbox
[0:20] Olivia introduces herself and what she does
- Cofounder and CEO of MeowBox
- Catching the subscription box trend as it was peaking
- Doing it without knowing how to run a business
[3:00] what motivated Olivia to try it out
- Knowing she wanted to run a business and have less of a set schedule
- Being a dental assistant but having a business degree
- “I just went for it. I looked at what I had, and followed my goal.” -Olivia Canlas
- Wanting it so bad!
[8:15] Advice Olivia would give to people who are scared to start out
- It’s not that easy, you have to take that first step on your own!
- Encourage others to discover that in themselves
[12:00] Self assessment: ask yourself how bad you want this
- “If you know how bad you want it, you’ve got that fire to take on those following hardships.” - Olivia Canlas
[13:10] How meditation and gratitude practice has affected her mindset as an entrepreneur
- What is your view on what it truly means to be a successful entrepreneur?
- “The ultimate goal in why I want to own a business is happiness.” -Olivia
- “What about this business is still making me happy and how can I maintain that?” -Olivia Canlas
- Have the knowledge of how gratitude and meditation works and what it can do for you
- Success is subjective!
[18:45] Steve talks about how entrepreneurs tend to focus too hard on growth
- That puts you in a scarcity mindset!
- Nobody thinks about the differentiating factor of mindset
[21:25] The marketing standpoint of Meowbox
- Starting on Instagram at a peak time
- Leverage social media for your marketing
- “If there’s a new platform, in the early days it may be a great time to build your audience there.” -Olivia Canlas
- Do influencer marketing by sending out free products/boxes
- Keep it very organic
- Email Marketing works great!
- There are so many inexpensive options!
[28:00] It’s trial and error!
- Be prepared to suck
- Finding the relevant people in your niche and be patient
[29:43] Olivia’s #1 piece of advice for people looking to start a subscription box
- Make friends with someone who's done this!
- It’s actually not that hard to find someone
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions