Steve Krakower and guest Jill Lodato get straight to the necessities of a successful subscription business on this episode of The Hungry Founder Podcast. Join them and learn why Jill is a passionate advocate for making each and every box personal--but not because of what you put in it.
Jill will share her findings from founding a subscription box company for kids in the middle of a quarantine, outlining the effective ways she marketed their box (involving a popular YouTube channel and a not-yet-popular email list) and reaffirming why you should NOT overlook your organic marketing options first before taking a dive into the world of IOS and ads.
3 Key Takeaways
- Why subscription boxes are like dating for a long term relationship.
- Why you should think of your first criticism as manure.
- Why 80% of Jill’s subscribers never even see the box.
[0:22] Jill introduces what she does
- Going from being a teacher to a subscription box founder
- Basing on desperation: coming up with an idea for kids stuck home with their parents during quarantine
[2:20] Why Jill started her YouTube and how she got so many followers
- Her fascination with stories from her Italian grandmother baking
- Becoming a self-taught decorator and tutorial recorder
[5:15] Obstacles she came across when building her subscription box
- Overwhelming the parents and choosing to go bi-monthly
- Focusing on a membership over a subscription
- Ending their LTD at the holidays
[8:13] How long it took for Jill to go viral
- A funny video that went viral instantly
- The importance of posting consistently
[9:50] What Jill’s current marketing method looks like
- “We really are focused on channel marketing. I would say that email marketing gets our best conversions.” -Jill Lodato
- Pre-marketing focus on ad strategy
- Implementing all social media platforms
[12:00] What Jill does to measure the success of their ad marketing strategy
- “There’s so much more that you can do with email subscribers than these other crap shoots where you hope something sticks.” -Jill Lodato
- The future of relying on the marketing that you own rather than on ads
- Steve’s blended customer acquisition cost model
[15:30] The importance of focusing on your branding
- Throwing darts and hoping it sticks
- “80% of our subscribers never see the box. They’re grandparents.” -Jill Lodato
[17:15] The challenge of beginning a business that deals with subscription platforms
- Jill’s little ecommerce business and book publication
- Why subscription boxes are like dating for a long term relationship
[20:00] How Jill builds customer relationships
- “The most important thing is to build the trust. Have a business that has a really high integrity.” -Jill Lodato
- Loyalty gifts and positive responses to concerns
- Taking pride in implementing elements that the parents are looking for
[22:44] Jill’s number one piece of advice for others looking to found a subscription box business
- Have accountability with other people
- Maintain creativity every day in some way
- Kindle books, Masterminds, YouTube videos
- When you get your first criticism, consider it as manure!
Connect With Jill Lodato and her Subscription Box
To get a bonus for joining: email firstname.lastname@example.org